Doctor of Philosophy & Master of Philosophy
A PhD or research Masters in science communication is an essential pathway for students pursuing an academic career in this discipline. In addition, a well-crafted MSc or PhD can provide a significant stepping stone to other areas of employment such as communication analysis, policy development, and industry.
Bachelor degree required
Semester 1 & 2 intake
#1 in Australia for graduate employability (Times Higher Education)
Here at CPAS, we invite applications from suitably qualified candidates (details below) who are interested in undertaking a MSc or PhD in Science Communication across a range of themes and topics including, but not limited to:
- Climate change communication
- Science, media and the public
- Intersections between science and art (artistic research)
- Ethics of science communication
- Intersectional issues in STEM (with a focus on gender)
- Communicating about health issues
- Science and Technology Studies (STS)
- Rhetoric of science
- Intersection of environmental science, policy and politics
- Popular entertainment and culture
- Knowledge co-production
Admission to a Doctor of Philosophy degree at ANU requires:
- An Australian Bachelor degree with at least Second Class Honours - Upper (First Class Honours is often required) or its international equivalent, or
- Another degree with a significant research/thesis component that may be assessed as equivalent to paragraph (1), or
- A combination of qualifications, research publications and/or professional experience related to the field of study that may be assessed as equivalent to paragraph (1).
Further information relating to eligibility can be found on the ANUs website: http://www.anu.edu.au/study/apply/anu-postgraduate-research-domestic-and-international-applications
A full list of completed, current and available PhD projects can be found at PhD research projects.
Fees & scholarships
Whether you are looking for financial support to start your studies at ANU or help to move away from home for the first time, we have scholarship opportunities for you and your situation.