The Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) offers world class undergraduate and postgraduate education in science communication.
Our courses span the gamut of science communication knowledge, skills and theory. We cover key communication media, including news media, the web and social media, live presentations, fiction film and television, science centre exhibits, and more. We also explore diverse communication contexts, including situations of risk and controversy, cross-cultural exchange, policy environments, corporate and organisational communication, communicating with children, and more.
Our assessment tasks are innovative, research-led and practically-oriented, to equip you with the professional communication expertise you need in the workplace. Our students have the opportunity to produce real world science communication materials and events in many of our courses, giving you the edge in the science and communications job markets.
If you want to work as a professional communicator in a science-related field, or want to enhance your communication skills for working in the sciences, medicine or engineering, enrol in a SCOM course today!
Running weekly through the ANU semesters.
An intensive week of classes (2020 dates here in brackets), some with pre-reading, then assessed online over the following months. In Semester 2, 2020, intensives will be available online.
Semester 1 or 2, Summer, Autumn, or Spring. Make your SCOM Major or Minor your own, by choosing your internship place and research topic.
The Science Communication Honours specialisation requires the completion of 48 units, which must consist of:
42 units from completion of:
In person only
Some skills need the interpersonal experience.
In person or online
Choose the delivery mode that suits you best – check the individual course detail for delivery options.
- SCOM6031 Science, Risk and Ethics
- SCOM6032 Making Modern Science
- SCOM8014 Communicating Science with the Public
- SCOM8088 Engagement for Policy Impact (17-21 February 2020)
- POGO8138 Science, Technology and Public Policy (1 May, 8 May, 15 May, 5 June, 12 June, 19 June)
- SCOM6016 Science in the Media (6-9 April 2020)
- SCOM6003 Science in Popular Fiction (22-26 June 2020)
- SCOM6012 Science Communication and the Web (29 June - 3 July 2020)
- SCOM6007 Science Communication Project Design and Delivery (7-10 July + session during semester)
- SCOM6501 Strategies in Science Communication (7-11 September 2020)
- SCOM6029 Cross Cultural Perspectives in Science Communication (14-18 September 2020)
- SCOM6030 Science Dialogue Theory and Practice (not offered in 2020)