I have held the role of Director of the Australian National Centre for Public Awarenes of Science at the ANU (colloquially known as 'CPAS') since January 2016. Given the broad nature of CPAS's research and teaching interests in science communication, public engagement, policy, knowledge brokering, risk, and ethics, I strive to make the Centre a home for inter- and transdiciplinary research and collaboration.
My own research and teaching centres on theories of the public in science communication, language and rhetoric in science (both in public and in technical contexts), and the challenge of ethics in science communication. I'm most interested in sociological accounts of knowledge production and I edited the jouranl Social Epistemology for 9 years.
I am a past president of Australian Science Communicators, a founding member of the American Association for the Rhetoric of Science and Technology, and am Chair of the National of the National Committee for History and Philosophy of Science at the Australian Academy of Science. Purdue University (USA) awarded me a science laurateship for services to public engagement with science.
I have called Australia home since 2005. I have been privileged to work at a number of world-leading Universities incluidng Imperial College London, the University of Queensland, and the University of Pittsburgh.
- Gallois, C, Ashworth, P, Leach, J et al 2017, 'The Language of Science and Social Licence to Operate', Journal of Language and Social Psychology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 45-60.
- Leach, J 2017, 'A note from the 1960s: Science communication as a solution to complex science', Journal and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 118-121.
- Medvecky, F & Leach, J 2017, 'The ethics of science communication', Journal of Science Communication, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1-5.
- Rowbotham, S, McKinnon, M, Leach, J & Lamberts, R 2017, 'Does citizen science have the capacity to transform population health science? [IN PRESS]', Critical Public Health, vol. Online, pp. 1-12.
- Leach, J 2016, 'A Comic Moment for Social Epistemology', in James H. Collier (ed.), The Future of Social Epistemology: A collective vision, Rowman and Littlefield, London, pp. 11-19pp.
- Leach, J 2015, 'The Role of Science Communication in International Diplomacy', in Lloyd S Davis and Robert G Patman (ed.), Science Diplomacy: New Day or False Dawn, World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore, pp. 155-169pp.
- Rooney, D, Leach, J & Ashworth, P 2014, 'Doing the Social in Social License', Social Epistemology: A Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Policy, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 209-218.
- Weir, P, Leach, J, Gamble, J et al 2014, 'Twenty-First Century Minerva: Are there career impacts for women who receive a "Women in Science" Fellowship?', International Journal of Gender, Science and Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 197-208.
- Colthorpe, K, rowland, S & Leach, J 2013, Good Practice Guide Science, Threshold learning outcome 4: Communication, Department of Education, Sydney.
- Leach, J 2013, 'Science Communication', in P Simonson, J Peck, R T Craig, & J P Jackson (ed.), The Handbook of Communication History, Routledge, New York, pp. 289-301pp.
- Leach, J 2012, 'Social Epistemology', in Adrian Carter, Wayne Hall and Judy Illes (ed.), Addiction Neuroethics, Academic Press, London, pp. 231-244.
- Leach, J & McKenzie, M, eds, 2012, ASC Conference Australian Science Communicators Conference, ACS, Australia.
- Leach, J 2010, 'Social Epistemology', in Susanna Hornig Priest (ed.), Encyclopedia of science and technology communication, Sage Publications Inc, USA, pp. 674-677.
- Leach, J & Dysart-Gale, D 2010, Rhetorical Questions of Health and Medicine, Lexington Books, Lanham.
- Leach, J & Burns, M 2009, 'Science as an extra dividend: Frontiers of science', Issues Journal, vol. 87, pp. 31-32.
- Leach, J 2009, 'Media Witnessing: Testimony in the Age of Mass Communication', in A Pinchevsky and P Frosh (ed.), Media Witnessing: Testimony in the Age of Mass Communication, Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Leach, J 2009, 'The Question of Value for Science Communicators', Public Communication of Science and Technology, Public Communication of Science and Technology, Malmo.
- Leach, J 2009, 'Models of Communication', in Richard Holliman (ed.), Investigating Science Communication in the information age: Implications for public engagement and popular media, Oxford University Press, New York, pp. 182-198.
- Bromley, M, Fitgerald, R, Gallois, C et al 2009, 'Recommendations for a directed approach to science communication along the National Framework/Local Action model.'.
- Leach, J 2008, 'Peter Wall institute for Advanced Studies', Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, Wall Institute for Advanced Studies, Canada.
- Leach, J 2008, 'Science and its Publics', in Bell, Davis Mellor (ed.), Science and its Publics, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle, pp. 117-133.
- Leach, J 2007, 'What is the new rhetoric', in S Thomas (ed.), What is the new Rhetoric, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, United Kingdom, pp. 69-81.