The Master of Science Communication Outreach is an exciting one-year graduate program in communication for science, engineering and technology graduates. Its capstone experience is graded participation in a troupe of touring science show presenters.
Run jointly by the Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science and Questacon – The National Science and Technology Centre, the program includes travel to remote and regional areas of Australia while staffing the Shell Questacon Science Circus.
All students in the program are financially supported by a scholarship that is paid fortnightly throughout the program. To be eligible for this scholarship you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident. The exact amount of the scholarship will be determined each year.
For about 14 weeks of the 40 week program, students tour regional Australia while working for the Shell Questacon Science Circus. Each year, we travel to different locations. As well as undertaking practical training on the road, there is also a little 'down time' to relax and unwind.
Graduates of the program have gone on to work in diverse and exciting areas across the field of science communication, including:
- television stations and radio networks in Australia e.g. for Triple J, Catalyst and Carbon Cops
- magazines including New Scientist and Scienttrific
- the Edinburgh International Science Festival
- the GridTalk grid computing project in the European Union at CERN, Switzerland
- the Children’s Cancer Institute
- the Science Foundation for Physics at the University of Sydney
- as an Australian Youth Ambassador for Development teaching science in the Maldives
- as a Science Outreach Officer in the University of Namibia
- as a science and maths trainer at the Vanuatu Institute of Technology.
How to apply
- Postgraduate Coursework Application for Local Students (pdf, 108KB)
- Supplementary Application Information Master of Science Communication Outreach (7624) (pdf, 71KB)
ANU Domestic Admissions
The Australian National University
- have science related undergraduate and post graduate degrees (we require a Bachelor’s degree and at least Honours or a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma)
- have a current P2 or full drivers licence at the time of enrolment
- undergo a police records check.
Scholarship and fees
Frequently asked questions
How much is the scholarship?
What about field expenses?