The Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) offers world class undergraduate and postgraduate education in science communication.
Our courses span the gamut of science communication knowledge, skills and theory. We cover key communication media, including news media, the web and social media, live presentations, fiction film and television, science centre exhibits, and more. We also explore diverse communication contexts, including situations of risk and controversy, cross-cultural exchange, policy environments, corporate and organisational communication, communicating with children, and more.
Our assessment tasks are innovative, research-led and practically-oriented, to equip you with the professional communication expertise you need in the workplace. Our students have the opportunity to produce real world science communication materials and events in many of our courses, giving you the edge in the science and communications job markets.
If you want to work as a professional communicator in a science-related field, or want to enhance your communication skills for working in the sciences, medicine or engineering, enrol in a SCOM course today!
- SCOM3001 - Science, Risk and Ethics
- SCOM3003 - Science Communication Research Project
- SCOM3004 - Science Communication Internship (Autumn session)
- SCOM6003 - Science in Popular Fiction
- SCOM6012 - Science Communication and the Web
- SCOM6016 - Science in the Media
- SCOM6027 - Science and Public Policy
- SCOM6029 - Cross Cultural Perspectives in Science Communication
- SCOM7000 - Masters Research Project (for M Sci Com only)
- SCOM8004A & B - Fieldwork Placement (for M Sci Com Outreach only)
- SCOM8007 - Exhibition Design (for M Sci Com Outreach only)
- SCOM8014 - Communicating Science with the Public
- SCOM8015 - Speaking of Science
- SCOM8020 - Science Communication and Creative Teaching
- SCOM8021 - Ethics, Issues and Consequences of Science
- SCOM8501 - Strategies in Science Communication