Explore ideas at the frontier of science communication at ANU
- The Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) at ANU was the first science communication centre in Australia and is now the most diverse of its kind in the world.
- Join our 2020 ANU CPAS International Summer Program to find out more about life in Canberra and at ANU, and how studying science communication will give you a competitive edge.
Masterclass in science communication
Participants attending our CPAS International Summer Program can expect to gain a range of skills and knowledge in the world of science communication — and open the door to a deeper engagement with the field.
At the end of the course participants will have the skills and knowledge to
- Discuss the concepts underpinning science communication practice
- Consider science communication strategies and tactics for different audiences, using a range of means, media, and technologies.
- Gain understanding of the ethical responsibilities of science in the modern world
- undergraduate and postgraduate students
- currently pursuing an academic program at a university or equivalent
- preference given to students from our partner universities
Applicants must demonstrate a ‘credit’ GPA of 5.0/7.0 (or very similar) in order to be eligible for consideration.
CPAS International Summer Program is not formally assessed. Completion of the course does not provide ANU course credit, and you will not receive an ANU transcript.
However, participants attending the course will work on informal group and individual projects to practice the lessons of the course, and feedback will be given to participants throughout to assist their development as emerging communicators of science. Certificate On successful completion of the course, all participants will be issued with an ANU Certificate of Participation.
The total course cost is A$4,000.
This cost is inclusive of:
- tuition fee
- academic activities
- 13 nights of accommodation
- 13 days of meals
- transport within Canberra
- sightseeing and other social activities
Participants will be provided with catered on-campus accommodation within ANU student residences.
Cost does not include air fares, visa application fees or insurance. Participants are responsible for the cost of their own round trip air fares, visa and insurance.
International participants should apply for an Australian visitor visa (note: not an international student visa). The short duration and academic status of the Summer Program means that it falls under the conditions of a visitor visa, as detailed by the Department of Home Affairs.
How to apply
Please complete the online application form to apply for the 2020 CPAS International Summer Program.
Bulk applications are also possible. Email email@example.com for more details.
Applicants are assessed on the responses to the statement of purpose in addition to their academic transcript.
Course capacity: 40 participants
Sample itinerary (subject to change)
Terms & conditions
The Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science (CPAS) reserves the right to cancel the course or change course title, content, dates and venues. We also reserve the right to decline registrations where registrations exceed capacity or cancel the course due to insufficient registrations. In the event of cancellation, as much notice as possible will be provided to participants registered for the course.
Under the following circumstances, participants may be eligible for a full refund of their fees: if CPAS is unable to offer the course; if a participant's visa application is refused (evidence of refusal is mandatory and participants must provide the decision record from the Department of Home Affairs in the case of a visa refusal); if a participant cancels their place in the course in writing at least six weeks before the course start date. No fees will be refunded if the participant withdraws from the course within six weeks of the course start date.