Danny is a Visiting Fellow of the Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science at the Australian National University. Her research centres on scholarly communication with a specific interest in open access, research assessment, peer review, authorship and higher education. She is invited to speak and present on the topic around Australia and internationally. She is a committee member of the Australian Academy of Sciences National Committee for Data in Science.
Danny currently works as the Executive Officer of the Australian Open Access Support Group which aims to inform the discussions around open access at a time of great change in this area. She is responsible for developing the content on the AOASG website, including explainers, blogs and general information about the topic. She runs a discussion list and Twitter feed as part of the outreach activities of the group.
Her previous role was for four years as the Manager, Scholarly Communication and ePublishing at the Australian National University. She was responsible for developing policies relating to scholarly communication and open access, and rebuilt the DSpace repository prior to its July 2011 relaunch. She also worked as an Associate Lecturer (part-time) in science communication. She lectured in undergraduate and masters courses and for the Questacon Science Circus Graduate Diploma at CPAS from 2006-2013. Danny is also one of the facilitators for the CPAS science communication workshops. She completed her PhD looking at the barriers to opening up access to science publications in 2008.
2008 PhD Thesis - Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science, Australian National University The effect of scholarly communication practices on engagement with open access: An Australian study of three disciplines http://hdl.handle.net/1885/49304
1995 Honours thesis (First Class) Science & Technology Studies, University of New South Wales Science online? A contextual analysis of the debate on electronic journals in science communication http://hdl.handle.net/10440/1023
Kingsley, D.A. and Kennan, M.A. (2014) "Open access: the whipping boy for problems in schoalrly publication", Communications of the Association for Information Systems (in press)
Kingsley, D. A. "Paying for publication: issues and challenges for research support services”, Australian Academic and Research Libraries (AARL). Special Issue - 'Research support services in academic and research libraries’ (in press) . Accepted version: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/11924
Kingsley, D. A. (2013) "Build it and they will come? Support for open access in Australia", Scholarly Research Communication Vol 4, No 1. Published online: http://src-online.ca/index.php/src/article/view/39
Kennan, M.A. and Kingsley, D.A. (2009) “State of the nation: A snapshot of Australian institutional repositories” First Monday, Vol 14, No 2, 2 February 2009. Published online at: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2282/2092
Kingsley, D. (2008) “Those who don’t look don’t find: Disciplinary considerations in repository advocacy” OCLC Systems and Services: International Digital Library Perspective (OSS: IDLP), Vol 24, Issue 4, pp. 204-218. Post print: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/46229
Clarke, R. and Kingsley D. “ePublishing’s Impacts on Journals and Journal Articles”, Journal of Internet Commerce, Vol 7, Issue 1, March 2008, pp. 120-151. Post print - http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/ePublAc.html
Kingsley, D. “The journal is dead, long live the journal” On the Horizon, October 2007 Vol 15, Issue 4, pp. 211-221. Post print - http://dspace.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/44522
Steele, C., Butler, L. and Kingsley, D. “The Publishing Imperative: the pervasive influence of publication metrics” Learned Publishing, October 2006 Vol 19, Issue 4, pp. 277-290. Article - http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp/2006/00000019/00000004/art00007. Note: This paper was the 9th most downloaded paper in 2007 from the journal.
Refereed Conference Papers
- ‘Support for open access in Australia – an overview’, PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference 2011, Freie Universität Berlin, 26-28 September 2011 Slides available: http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2011/pkp2011/paper/view/271
- “The advocacy and awareness imperative: a repository overview” VALA2010: Connections, Content, Conversations. Melbourne Convention Centre, 9-11 February 2010. Paper available from: http://www.vala.org.au/vala2010/papers2010/VALA2010_110_Kingsley_Final.pdf
- “Repositories, research and reporting: The conflict between institutional and disciplinary needs”. VALA2008: Libraries-Changing Spaces, Virtual Places. Melbourne Convention Centre, 5 February 2008. Article available from: http://www.vala.org.au/vala2008/auth2008.htm or http://dspace.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/46096
- Kingsley, D. “A case for the implementation of an open policy for, and advocacy of the ANU’s institutional repository Demetrius”, Prepared 18 February 2008. Available - http://hdl.handle.net/1885/46230
- Kingsley, D. Book Review: Designing online learning: a primer for librarians, published in The Australian Library Journal, August 2013, Vol 62, No 3, pp 234-235 http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00049670.2013.811759#.U3wfHViSyhk
- Kingsley, D. “Fairer and faster”, a book review of The Access Principle: the Case for Open Access to Research and Scholarship by John Willinsky. Published in Science and Public Policy, October 2006 Vol 33, Issue 8, pp620-621.
- Kingsley, D. Book Review: Perspectives on Free and Open Source Software, edited by Joseph Feller, Brian Fitzgerald, Scott Hissam and Karim Lakhani. Published in Prometheus, 2007 Vol 25, Issue 2, pp216-219.
Invited Workshop and Conference Papers
- “Open access and the impact advantage”, 3rd Annual Towards Research Excellence Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 9-10 December 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/11075
- “Open access developments in Australia”, Open Access and Research, Brisbane, Australia, 31 October – 1 November 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10793
- Workshop: “Advocacy – what works”, Open Access and Research Pre Conference Workshop, Brisbane, Australia, 30 October 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10792
- “Australian & international developments in Open Access”, ARMS 2013 Conference, Adelaide, Australia, 12 September 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10787
- “Open Access in the humanities and social sciences: Australian Developments”, National Scholarly Communications Forum, Canberra, Australia, 3 May 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10794
- “National and international development in Open Access: implications, opportunities and local initiatives” (with Paula Callan and Lisa Kruesi), ALIA Information Online 2013, Brisbane, Australia, 12 February 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10788
- “Ownership and copyright of scholarly works”, Intelligent Information Symposium 2012, Sydney, Australia, 3-4 May 2012 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/9011
- “The changing nature of scholarly communication”, Digital Humanities Australasia 2012: Building, Mapping, Connecting, Australian National University, 27-30 March 2012 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/8958
- “Future Publishing Metrics – The Way Forward?”. Research Assessment and Publication Metrics – the Beginning or End of an ERA? Emeritus Faculty Seminar, Australian National University, 18 October 2010. Audio and write-up of talk here: http://www.anu.edu.au/emeritus/events/event-101018.html
- “Rights and reward: Why Authorship is Unique in Scientific Publishing and how it relates to integrity” and “They’re Digital Rights but not as You Know Them” The Curious Case of Open Access and Copyright. Copyright 2010: A decade of Moral Rights and the Digital Agenda. ANU College of Law, 21-22 June 2010.
- “Diffusing your repository into the academic community” CAIRSS Community Day 2009. Innovations Centre, University of the Sunshine Coast, 1 December 2009.
- “Diffusing Open Access into the Academy”, Open Access Publishing. Holme Building, University of Sydney, 4-5 December 2008.
- “The institutional/disciplinary divide, a barrier to open access”, Open Accesss Collections. Customs House, Brisbane, 14 February 2008.
- “Selling your repository to academics: the open access message”, The Adaptable Repository. Holme Building, University of Sydney, 3 May 2007.
- “Readiness and Responsibilities for Managing Research Data: The Institutional Perspective”(with Margaret Henty), EduCause Australasia 2007. Melbourne Convention Centre, 1 May 2007.
- “Open access: policies, practices & challenges” (with Paula Callan), CAIRSS Research Repository Community Days, Griffith University, 29 October 2013 http://hdl.handle.net/1885/10791
- “Insights from a German OA Conference”, CAIRSS Community Day, Melbourne University, 11 November 2011
- “Access to scholarly information, current developments in open access” (with Vicki Picasso), CAUL Think Tank, Macquarie University 14 September 2011, http://www.caul.edu.au/about-caul/caul-meetings/think-tanks
- “Developing policies, Recruiting material, sample proceedings” (with Katy Watson), CAIRSS Community Day, RMIT Melbourne 23 November 2010
- “They’re digital rights but not as you know them: the curious case of open access and copyright”. Invited talk to the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) University Research Library group. National Library of Australia, 26 July 2010.
- “Those who don’t look don’t find: The disciplinary information-seeking factor in determining the success of open-access publishing policies.”. Invited talk presented to the History and Philosophy of Science Department at UNSW, 2 October 2007.
- Chair, National Science Week talk: “The Parallel Bang” presented by Dr Jack Bacon, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU, 26 August 2007.
- “Open Access and Digital Repositories” Presented as an Ad Hoc Series seminar to UNSW Library, 13 April 2007. Audio and slides available at: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/45159
- “Scientific publishing and the Open Access movement”. Presented to the Australian Science Communicators at CPAS, ANU, 27 October 2005.
- “The 'What, Why and Who' of Institutional Repositories”. Presented to the Digital Resource Services Information Group at Menzies Library, ANU, 27 October 2005.
- “Freelance Writer’s Workshop”, Brisbane Science Writer’s Festival, 4 October 2003.
Media publications (selection)
- “A perspective on Open Access in Australia”, in “A global View of Open Access – part 4” on the Tony Hey on eScience blog, 11 December 2013
- “Open Access Publishing”, Chapter 4 of the Australian Government Department of Industry Australian Innovation System Report November 2013
- “The future of open access publishing”, Forum participation in a Live Chat on The Guardian 25 October 2013
- “A Big Year – OA in Australia”, Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand, 21 October 2013
- “Danny Kingsley on the state of Open Access: Where are we, what still needs to be done?”, by Richard Poynder Open and Shut? 22 July 2013
- “UK’s open access policies have global consequences”, The Conversation UK 17 September 2013
- “Busting the top five myths about open access”, The Conversation 12 July 2013
- “What is open access and why should we care?”, The Conversation 15 January 2013
- “Public research, private profits”, Opinion piece, COSMOS Magazine, 26 July 2012
- “Finch inquiry’s open access tune won’t resonate in Australia”, The Conversation, 22 June 2012
- Interviewed for ABC radio’s national current affairs program PM- “Australian academics boycott the world's biggest scholarly publisher”, 16 February 2012
- “A small bill in the US, a giant impact for research worldwide”, The Conversation, 27 January 2012
- “How one small fix could open access to research”, The Conversation, 3 August 2011
- “Express yourself, scientists – speaking plainly isn’t beneath you”, The Conversation, 9 November 2011
- Interviewed for Counterbalance Radio - Ep 53, 2 August 2011. Podcast
- “Australian media take note: the BBC understands balance in climate change coverage”, The Conversation, 25 July 2011
- “Fading away - the problem of digital sustainability”, ANU Reporter, Winter 2007.
- “Digital sustainability”, Radio interview for ABC Mt Gambier, South East SA - 28 August 2007.
- Losing access to research (Opinion piece), R&D Review, August 2007. Available on: ScienceAlert Australia & New Zealand - 29 June 2007.
- “Open Access Publishing: A solution to the serials crisis?”, Australasian Science, March 2006, pp 34-36, Control Publications.
- “Science for Sale” - Explores the push towards open access publishing. ABC Science Online feature - 29 May 2003.
- “Quest for top journal fame threatens research” ABC Science News Online - 20 March 2003
- “Publish or perish” ABC Science News Online - 1 November 2002.
- “Medical journals crack down on drug money” ABC Science News Online - 12 September 2001.
- Also authored over 300 News in Science stories for ABC Science Online between August 2001 and July 2003.